Friday, January 14, 2011

WHY MUSLIM FEMALES WEAR HIJAB

Pay close attention to this topic I have chosen to talk to you about. Hijab is not only covering your head from the boys it has much more to it. It also means to cover your whole body which means wearing a black long dress which is called an “abaya.” Many Muslim people or non-Muslim wonder and ask this question “Why do Muslim women cover their heads?” this is question is simple and can be simply answered. Truthfully, they are purely obeying their Lords desires. Muslim women observe the hijab (covering the head and body). An Iranian school girl has quoted as saying, “We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks.” I shared this quote because I think this is very true in a young girl’s perspective of the hijab. The word hijab comes from the Arabic word “hajaba” meaning to hide from view or conceal. I don’t understand why people think we have “bad hair days” or we’re forced to wear a “scarf” around our head. Honestly, why don’t they just come up and ask us a simple question, instead of making rude comments or making assumptions. I decided to ask one muslim and non-muslim about "Why they wear Hijab?” or “What they think about Hijab?”

A student in grade 10 from Jarvis C.I says “I wear hijab because a woman must look modest, and show respect for herself so she can achieve respect for others. Every young woman that wears Hijab is beautiful. When you wear the Hijab, you feel secure; you don’t need a man to make you feel secure.”

My non-muslim friend says “HIJAB IS HELLA DOPE, meaning she thinks it is a good way for Muslim girls to express them selves to the world.”

I started to wear Hijab when I was about in grade 1 or 2. But then again, it was on and off. I guess I would say I fully started to wear my Hijab in grade 6, because in my other years I would take it off. I realized if I’m going to take it off might as well not wear it right? But I thought to my self, is this the way I want to live, by not obeying my Lord’s commandments? Right now in grade 8, I feel comfortable wearing my Hijab and when I take it off I feel rather naked, because without my Hijab I don’t feel the same. I felt as if I was contradicting myself, because when you wear the Hijab your not suppose to be loud and obnoxious, but I was both of that so I decided to wear it on and off, which I totally regret. I know sometimes I’m loud and obnoxious now but I see it & that’s what I try to change, some people take me as a joke, but sometimes I’m dead serious. I was/am not obligatory to wear my Hijab; I wear it because I like to respect my god’s requirements. It is my choice I have decided that I will no longer take off my Hijab when males are around. Truthfully, I believe that if you don’t wear your Hijab properly (as in, putting it on half way so your neck is showing) you shouldn’t wear it at all. You shouldn’t be wearing Hijab if you are forced, you should wear it because you want to value your Lords commandments.

There are no excuses of why you can’t wear the Hijab; if you love Allah (God) you would wear it with no exceptions. There are many Hijab brand names to choose from, from Calvin Klein to Pashmina. But in the Muslim society the Hijab is right and responsibility of a woman, it’s her shield, and her way to express her obedience to God. It is her shield from being looked at as an object, and being judge by her figure and outer beauty, but rather being taken serious by her intelligence. We Muslims want to cover our beauty, so we can not attract men, we want them to realized the true Muslims we are. In the end of the day, it doesn’t matter where your from, if your black or blue, or how you dress, it matters about your personality and how you respect yourself and others.

Where is the proof that it is a commandment of God? One might ask. Well if you look in to the Holy Scripture in Islam, the Holy Qu’ran it is stated in Chapter 24 (Surat An-Noor), Verse 31:

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! Turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.” So, if you are Muslim women, it means they have submitted themselves to God. To submit is to permit one to have ability, and full power over you. So if one says they are Muslim, then they follow the Laws of God because He Almighty has full authority over them. This is the reason why Muslim women where Hijab, not because a man told them to, but because their Creator, the most high has commanded them to do so.

This was written by my little sister, she was 12 years old when she wrote this :)
Inshallah you enjoy it !

No comments:

Post a Comment