Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Should I beat my daughter?



Questioner:

Oh Shaykh may Allah rectify us and our offspring. If I want to beat my daughter due to a problem that occurred between her and her sister or due to her wrecking the house, or not listening to what her mother tells her or not listening to me; when I beat her she becomes frighten and says: “Dear father may Allah preserve you, I ask my Lord to enter you into paradise.”

So I am concerned about this dua especially since I continue to beat her and I say to myself, “Say, oh Allah, Enter me into paradise though I beat her”.

Shaykh Baraak: Why do you beat her? Why? Do not beat her! Why do you beat her?!

Questioner: Due to her disobeying her mother and her father.

Shaykh Baraak: No, No, do not beat her. Discipline her with words. Beating is not the appropriate means. Hitting is for violating the rights of Allah, for violating the rights of Allah. If she does not pray after reaching the age of ten then she is lightly hit as a means of discipline.

(Your beating her) is incorrect.

Some of the people go to the extreme. Some of the people punish their children with fire! This is ignorance.

Discipline is not torture! It is not torture! Show mercy and you will be shown mercy.

Do not beat your daughter. Discipline her (with words). (Such as saying) ‘Shame on you, Shame on you’, ‘This is not correct.’ ’What is this you are doing?’

Translated by Rasheed ibn Estes Barbee
Presented to you by Markaz Tawheed was-Sunnah in Durham, NC
http://mtws.posterous.com

No comments:

Post a Comment