Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Causes of Failure

Ibn al-Qayyim says:

The cause behind failure is unsuitability of place, inconvenience, and lacking the ability to accept the blessing; if he was granted the blessing, he would say: this is mine and I got it because I deserve it as Allaah says:
«He said: “This has been given to me only because of knowledge I possess.» [28:78]

That is to say, because of the knowledge that Allaah gave me and according to which I deserve this blessing and so it is my right. Al-Farraa` said: I got it, and I deserve it according to the favors I possess.

`Abdullaah bin al-Haarith bin Nawfal mentioned the blessings and ownership that Sulaymaan bin Daawood possessed, then he recited that Allaah says:

«This is by the Grace of my Lord to test me whether I am grateful or ungrateful!» [27:40]
He did not say: this is because of my honor. Then he mentioned Qaaroon and recited,

«He said: “This has been given to me only because of knowledge I possess.» [28:78]

He meant that Sulaymaan realized that whatever he gained is from his Lord and his Favor, and that he is afflicted with it and Qaaroon thought that he deserved the blessings he received. Allaah also says:

«And truly, if We give him a taste of mercy from us, after some adversity (severe poverty or disease, etc.) has touched him, he is sure to say: “This is for me (due to my merit)» [41:50]
That is to say, I deserve it and it is mine: I own it.

The believer realizes that all blessings belong to Allaah and His favor and that Allaah grants him blessings without him deserving it. It is continual charity from Him to His servants, and He has the right to deprive anyone from this as He wills. If Allaah prevents people from receiving blessings, He never prevents them from what they deserve. If the servant fails to realize that, he might think that he deserves it and would become conceited thinking that he deserves this blessing and that he is better than others. As Allaah says:

«And if We give man a taste of Mercy from Us, and then withdraw it from him, verily! He is despairing, ungrateful. But if We let him taste good (favour) after evil (poverty and harm) has touched him, he is sure to say: “Ills have departed from me.” Surely, he is exultant, and boastful (ungrateful to Allaah).» [11:9-10]

Allaah dispraises such a man because of his despair and being ungrateful during times of afflictions and because he is happy and proud when the affliction is removed. He failed to praise Allaah, thank, and glorify Him when He removed the afflictions but Allaah says that he said: «Ills have departed from me.» If he had just said: Allaah removes ills away from me by His mercy, Allaah would never dispraise him, but the servant forgets Who bestowed this blessing on him by ascribing it to himself and through feeling proud.

If Allaah, the Exalted, sees such a heart in His servant, this is one of the greatest causes of failure and letting him down. His place is not suitable to receive such perfect and complete blessings, as Allaah says:

«Verily! The worst of (moving) living creatures with Allaah are the deaf and the dumb, those who understand not (i.e. the disbelievers). Had Allaah known of any good in them, He would indeed have made them listen, and even if He had made them listen, they would but have turned away, averse (to the truth).» [8:22-23]

Allaah said that their place is not suitable to receive His blessings. Besides this there is another obstacle that prevents blessings from reaching them, which is their denial and neglect of what they know and perceive.

The causes of failure are based on the state of the soul and its adherence to its nature; the origin of creation. The causes of success are according to Allaah, Who enables the servant to accept His blessings. The causes of success are from Him and from His favor, and He created both this and that as He created all parts of the earth; one part accepts plant life and the other does not. He created trees; one grows fruit and the other does not. He created the bee and enabled it to produce honey with different colors as well as the hornet, which cannot do that. He created good souls that are able to remember, praise, thank, glorify, and advise His servants, and also created evil souls who are not able to do that. He is the All-Wise and the All-Knowing.
al-Fawaa`id

No comments:

Post a Comment